MLS Areas is optional until April 1, 2021
Effective January 20th, 2021, MLS Areas will no longer be a required field and will become optional until April 1, 2021. At that time, MLS areas become hidden from the MLS search. With MLS Areas now being an optional field, agents who continue to use the MLS Areas exclusively to search for properties do so at the risk of missing out on basic listings for their clients. In your business and clients' best interests, we urge you to begin transitioning to utilizing all the tools available to you within the Paragon system. Your TMLS support team is here to help with that. The full version of the announcement can be seen here
We look forward to helping you use all the tools available and the best search for your clients.
As previously announced via email, Triangle MLS will discontinue the use of TMLS Areas and Sub Areas in all products and services on January 4th, 2021.
We want to make sure that our Subscribers understand the huge benefits that this change means for the valuable data that our MLS provides.
Increased and Better Search accuracy:
- With the ability to outline a search on a map, agents are able to better match what their clients are asking for more precisely. Because of this, more agents are already using Paragon’s map capabilities than are using the old Areas when creating customer searches.
- Using the Map to define geographical boundaries eliminates the risk of missing listings where a listing agent entered an incorrect Area or Sub Area. Those mistakes are effectively eliminated. Now MLS Listings are now being automatically mapped with greater accuracy and, for the listings that are not, TMLS’s Data Integrity Department has been able to implement controls to ensure listings are being manually mapped prior to going live.
Continued issues if Areas stayed:
- The marketability of some properties can be affected based on the MLS Area in which they are located.
- Subdivisions extending into multiple MLS Areas create the risk for inaccurate searches with incomplete results.
- Creating confusion among consumers when listings are missing in searches due to how areas are drawn.
- Unnecessary risk and liability for Brokers that could occur by using old, and arbitrary lines to determine home values.
What can you do to prepare?
- Starting now, avoid using MLS Area and Sub Area as search criteria
- Learn how to use map search. Map Search classes are listed on the Paragon homepage.
- Begin to convert existing searches you believe will run past January 4, 2021. TMLS training staff have created a video to guide you through this process.
|MLS Area Search Conversion
||MLS Map Search Recorded Class|
If you have any questions about MLS areas, please contact our Triangle MLS Helpdesk via email at [email protected] or via phone at 919-654-5419, Option 2.